Leonia in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This section of Leonia was purchased from the Indians by Captain John Berry under a patent dated 1669. Capt. Berry was governor of Nova Caesarea (New Jersey) 1672-3.
Location. 40° 51.379′ N, 73° 59.831′ W. Marker is in Leonia, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is at the intersection of Grand Avenue (County Route 93) and W Oakdene Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Grand Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Leonia NJ 07605, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Civil War Armory and Drill Hall ( a few steps from this marker); Leonia Tract ( approx. ¼ mile away); Cole – Allaire – Boyd House ( approx. half a mile away); Days Tavern ( approx. 0.6 miles away); George Washington Memorial Monument ( approx. 0.6 miles away); Continental Army Encampment ( approx. 0.6 miles away); Comfort Women ( approx. 0.7 miles away); March to Trenton ( approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leonia.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 24, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 503 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 24, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.