Framingham in Middlesex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Site of Eames Massacre
burned by the Indians in
King Philip’s War Feb. 1, 1676.
His wife and five children
were slain and four carried
is placed by his descendants
Location. 42° 17.245′ N, 71° 26.14′ W. Marker is in Framingham, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker is on Chatauqua Avenue when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is less than 100 feet north of the intersection of Chatauqua Avenue and Mt. Wayte Avenue. Marker is in this post office area: Framingham MA 01702, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gen. Henry Knox Trail ( approx. 0.9 miles away); Pike Haven Homestead ( approx. 1.8 miles away); Sherborn ( approx. 4.1 miles away); Knox Trail ( approx. 4.1 miles away); a different marker also named Gen. Henry Knox Trail ( approx. 4.9 miles away); Washington at the Wayside Inn ( approx. 5.1 miles away); Hop Brook Mill ( approx. 5.3 miles away); Sudbury Fight ( approx. 5.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Framingham.
Regarding Site of Eames Massacre.
Concerning the location of the house, in his 1847 town history (see link below) William Barry notes that “a partial depression of the surface, with the surrounding apple trees, still indicate the spot.” But in their 1999 book, King Philip’s War, Eric Schultz and Michael J. Tougias write that nothing except this marker can be seen there today.
Also see . . . History of Framingham. This 1847 book by William Barry gives a full account of the massacre on pages 24-29. (Submitted on April 26, 2012, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Events •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 26, 2012, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 1,249 times since then and 124 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 26, 2012, by Roger W. Sinnott of Chelmsford, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.