Memphis in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
The Commercial Appeal / Publishing Locations
The Commercial Appeal
This newspaper began in 1839 as THE WESTERN WORLD & MEMPHIS BANNER OF THE CONSTITUTION. In 1840 Col. Henry Van Pelt bought and renamed it THE MEMPHIS APPEAL. During the Civil War it published on the run from Union Troops. Because of this loyal effort to keep printing, it was nicknamed “Old Reliable”. When the 1878 Yellow Fever epidemic reduced the entire staff to only two, THE APPEAL never missed an issue. An 1890 merger created THE APPEAL-AVALANCHE. A later merger brought THE COMMERCIAL APPEAL to the masthead on July 1, 1894. It became a part of the Scripps Howard newspapers in 1936.
Beginning in a wooden building on the Wolf River bank, THE COMMERCIAL APPEAL and its ancestors have had various homes. In 1845 THE APPEAL was located over Browning's Grocery at Poplar & Main. In 1860 the prospering newspaper built its own building at Union & Front. During the Civil War it published from Grenada, Jackson & Meridian, MS; Montgomery, AL; and Atlanta & Columbus, GA. Back in Memphis its homes included the Appeal Building at Main & Jefferson, and in 1894 the building at the SE corner of Second & Court. In 1932 it bought The Ford Motor plant, located on these premises
Erected 1987 by The Commercial Appeal and The Shelby County Historical Commission.
Location. 35° 8.353′ N, 90° 2.488′ W. Marker is in Memphis, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is on Union Avenue (U.S. 70, 79) 0.1 miles east of South Lauderdale Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 495 Union Avenue, Memphis TN 38103, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First Railroad in West Tennessee (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Hunt-Phelan Home (about 700 feet away); George W. Lee (about 800 feet away); Elvis Presley and Sun Records / Sun Records (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church / Mt. Olive CME Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); It was a Struggle for Freedom For Dignity and For Equality (approx. ¼ mile away); Benjamin Franklin Booth (approx. ¼ mile away); Universal Life Insurance Building/Universal Life Insurance Company (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Memphis.
Also see . . . The Commercial Appeal. (Submitted on May 15, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Communications • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 15, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 669 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 15, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. 6. submitted on May 16, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.