Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Cherrydale

 
 
Cherrydale image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Vincent, April 29, 2012
1. Cherrydale
This neighborhood is on the National Register of Historic Places. The historic district is roughly bounded by Lorcom Lane between North Monroe Street and Military Road, Interstate 66, North Utah and North Taylor Streets south of Old Dominion Drive.
Inscription. In 1893 a branch post office at Lee Highway and Pollard Street was named Cherrydale, with reference to Dorsey Donaldson’s large cherry orchard in back of the present firehouse. Quincy Street was then known as Cherry Valley Road. Settlement in this area began after the Civil War and was stimulated in 1906 by the establishment of the Great Falls and Old Dominion Railway Line. Abandoned in 1935, the roadbed became Old Dominion Drive. Military Road was cut through broken and densely wooded country by Army engineers in 1861, to connect the isolated defensive works at Chain Bridge (Forts Marcy and Ethan Allen) with the Arlington Line.
 
Erected by Arlington County, Virginia.
 
Location. 38° 53.93′ N, 77° 6.53′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is on Military Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. This marker is located in front of the Cherrydale public library. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2190 Military Road, Arlington VA 22207, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cherrydale Volunteer Firehouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cherrydale Masonic Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stratford Junior High School
Cherrydale Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 15, 2012
2. Cherrydale Marker
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Maywood (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Glebe of Fairfax Parish (approx. 0.7 miles away); Wunder's Crossroads (approx. 0.8 miles away); Mt. Olivet Methodist Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Birchwood (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
 
Additional comments.
1.
Note To Editor only visible by Contributor and editor    
    — Submitted May 28, 2012, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia.

 
Categories. Railroads & StreetcarsRoads & VehiclesSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil
 
Military Road in this section of Arlington County image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 15, 2012
3. Military Road in this section of Arlington County
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 28, 2012, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. This page has been viewed 388 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on May 28, 2012, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia.   2, 3. submitted on September 23, 2012, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement