Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bainbridge in Decatur County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The J.D. Chason Memorial Park / The J.D. Chason Memorial Park History

 
 
Side 1: The J.D. Chason Memorial Park image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 16, 2012
1. Side 1: The J.D. Chason Memorial Park
Inscription. (Side 1):
The J.D. Chason Memorial Park

The J.D. Chason Memorial Park stands a permanent honor in memory of the late Doctor J.D. Chason. Members of his immediate family graciously presented it on December 29, 1921 to the city of Bainbridge. It is an historic location and is about two acres in size. The use of it is restricted to Park purposes.

(Side 2):
The J.D. Chason Memorial Park History

The J.D. Chason Memorial Park is an historic location. It was here that DeSoto and his men crossed the Flint River over three centuries ago. The El Camino Real, the King’s Highway, also crossed the grounds. Located within the Park is the site of Fort Hughes, built in 1817 by U.S. Soldiers under command of Capt. John M. McIntosh, and the grave of the first soldier, Bugler Hughes, killed in the Seminole Indian War.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
 
Location. 30° 54.467′ N, 84° 34.717′ W. Marker is in Bainbridge, Georgia, in Decatur County. Marker is on West Jackson Street 0 miles west of North Florida Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bainbridge GA 39817, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Side 2: The J.D. Chason Memorial Park History Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 16, 2012
2. Side 2: The J.D. Chason Memorial Park History Marker
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Scott Memorial (here, next to this marker); Decatur County (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Hughes (about 800 feet away); The Bainbridge Volunteers (approx. 0.2 miles away); De Soto Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); El Camino Real (approx. 0.2 miles away); In Memory of Revolutionary Soldiers (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bainbridge.
 
More about this marker. The marker is in the style of the markers erected by the Works Progress Administration in the late 1930s, but without the identification and numbering found on those markers.
 
Categories. ExplorationForts, CastlesRoads & VehiclesWars, US Indian
 
Side 1: The J.D. Chason Memorial Park image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 16, 2012
3. Side 1: The J.D. Chason Memorial Park
Three 32 pound cannon were obtained from Fort Clinch, Florida, in 1882 to mark the sites of Fort Hughes, Fort Scott, and Camp Recovery. The Fort Scott cannon was moved to J.D. Chason Park when the Jim Woodruff Reservoir was constructed in 1952; it is in the foreground. In the background, past the marker, is the cannon marking the site of Fort Hughes.
Side 2: The J.D. Chason Memorial Park History Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 16, 2012
4. Side 2: The J.D. Chason Memorial Park History Marker
Seen from West Jackson Street
Side 2: The J.D. Chason Memorial Park History Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 16, 2012
5. Side 2: The J.D. Chason Memorial Park History Marker
This plaque, mounted on the wall below the marker, notes that the park was re-landscaped in 1993 by the City of Bainbridge, the Azalea Garden Club, and the Federated Garden Clubs of Bainbridge.
Fort Hughes Memorial image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, May 16, 2012
6. Fort Hughes Memorial
The 32 pound cannon marking the site of Fort Hughes stands just west of the marker (the Fort Scott Memorial stands just east).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 1, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 419 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on June 1, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement