Eagle Pass in Maverick County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Fort served as frontier outpost near trail of California emigrants; base of operations against hostile Lipan Apache Indians. In 1851 it became the headquarters of the First Infantry. By 1856 garrison included units of Mounted Rifles and First Artillery. Abandoned May 1859, post was regarrisoned in March 1860 because of border assaults by Juan N. Cortina, desperado of the area. At outbreak of the Civil War, 1861, fort was again abandoned, only to be occupied later as “Rio Grande Station,” by Confederate forces.
In 1868 Fort Duncan was regarrisoned by the 9th Infantry and Headquarters Company of 41st Infantry, under Col. William R. Shafter. Seminole-Negro Scouts, organized here Aug. 16, 1870, played a large part in ridding western Texas of Indians. After 1883, post declined in importance; known as Camp Eagle Pass, it was abandoned about 1900. Mexican border troubles in 1916 again brought reoccupation; its use as a training camp continued during World War I.
In 1938 the fort property was purchased by City of Eagle Pass, for use as park and recreation area.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey
Location. 28° 42.148′ N, 100° 30.173′ W. Marker is in Eagle Pass, Texas, in Maverick County. Marker is at the intersection of Bliss Street and Shafter St, on the left when traveling east on Bliss Street. Touch for map. The marker is directly in front of the post headquarters building and museum. Marker is in this post office area: Eagle Pass TX 78852, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Fort Duncan (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Duncan Infantry Barracks (about 800 feet away); Eagle Pass C.S.A. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Maverick County (approx. 0.4 miles away); Maverick County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away).
Categories. • African Americans • Forts, Castles • Hispanic Americans • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 9, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 487 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 9, 2012, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.