King Philip's Cave
During King Philip's War (1675-1676) after a raid and burning of the settlement of Taunton in June 1675, and nearby homestead of Sgt. William Witherell, Philip and his warriors are believed to have taken refuge here as they withdrew in advance of militia from Plimouth & Taunton under the command of Captain Benjamin Church.
King Philip's Cave is a natural stone formation created by the advance and withdrawal of ice sheets during the last ice age about 13,500 years ago. These glaciers were over a mile thick, and hundreds of miles wide. They carried tons of soil and rock which they deposited throughout this area. The large stones and boulders that form King Philip's Cave are called conglomerate or "pudding stone." These stones are "glacial erratics" left behind as the ice sheets melted and retreated.
King Philip's cave
Erected 2007 by Norton Historical Commission.
Location. 41° 58.809′ N, 71° 7.865′ W. Marker is in Norton, Massachusetts, in Bristol County. Marker is on Stone Run Drive, in the median. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Norton MA 02766, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Winneccunnett Pond Area (approx. ¾ mile away); The Site of the First House in Norton (approx. ¾ mile away); First Burial Ground (approx. ¾ mile away); The Old Bay Road (approx. 1.8 miles away); Site of First Church in Norton (approx. 3.1 miles away); Norton Common Burial Ground (approx. 4.3 miles away); Stony Brook (approx. 5.4 miles away); Mansfield Orthodox Congregational Church (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Norton.
Also see . . . Entry for King Philip's Cave on the Land Preservation Society of Norton website. There are additional photographs of the cave on this page. (Submitted on January 26, 2017, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 9, 2012, by Bryan Simmons of Attleboro, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 1,460 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on June 9, 2012, by Bryan Simmons of Attleboro, Massachusetts. 2, 3. submitted on June 12, 2012, by Bryan Simmons of Attleboro, Massachusetts. 4. submitted on January 28, 2017. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.