Port Royal in Caroline County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
One of America's Earliest Business Women
After John Roy's death in 1734, Dorothy Roy became the first woman in Virginia to own a chartered tobacco warehouse. She also obtained a license to operate a ferry across the Rappahannock—another first for a Virginia woman—and she even became the owner of a tavern.
Dorothy Roy was soon recognized as the doyenne of the thriving commercial hub of Port Royal and was widely sought for business advice. She died in 1746, two years after the town of Port Royal, which had grown up around the Roy tobacco warehouse, was chartered. The two large chimneys on the west side of Route 301 are all that remain of Dorothy Roy's residence.
Erected by Historic Port Royal with funding made possible through the sponsorship
Location. 38° 10.311′ N, 77° 11.443′ W. Marker is in Port Royal, Virginia, in Caroline County. Marker is at the intersection of Water Street and Main Street (U.S. 301), on the left when traveling west on Water Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Royal VA 22535, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Port Royal (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Fox Tavern: A Colonial Landmark (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Port Royal (about 500 feet away); Port Royal Harbor (about 600 feet away); The Earliest Inhabitants: Native Americans (about 700 feet away); The Sacred Lot (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Port Royal (approx. 0.2 miles away); This monument, until 1983 located on the Belle Grove Lawn (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Royal.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 15, 2012, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 816 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 15, 2012, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.