Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Union Block House
Block houses were constructed with an exterior wall above an embankment made from the dirt excavated from a ditch surrounding the structure. They used heavy vertical and horizontal timbers to withstand artillery fire. Small openings were cut in the timbers just above the dirt embankment to accommodate defensive weapons fire. The tower on top served as a lookout vantage point.
Each block house would have housed from ten to as many as thirty soldiers. The blockhouse troops were often composed of members of regiments from the United States Colored Infantry.
Location. 35° 3.663′ N, 85° 18.597′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker can be reached from River Street south of Cherokee Boulevard (Tennessee Route 8). Touch for map. This historic marker is located on the north side of the Tennessee River, in a riverside community park, just west of the "John Ross Bridge,"along a walking trail. Marker is in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37403, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 1864 Military Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Contraband (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); United States Colored Troops (about 300 feet away); Occupied Chattanooga (about 400 feet away); 1838 Cherokee Removal & Trail of Tears (about 400 feet away); Trail of Tears (approx. 0.3 miles away); 1790 John Ross 1866 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Chattanooga's First Citizens (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 4, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 362 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 6, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.