Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Mother Seton House
Born in New York to a prominent Protestant family, Elizabeth Ann Bayley married William M. Seton in 1794. Widowed in 1803, she became Catholic in 1805.
Father William Dubourg, S.S., President of Saint Mary's College, invited her to establish a school in Baltimore. Elizabeth Seton arrived in Baltimore on June 16, 1808, moved into this house and opened a Catholic elementary school here the following September. The school is regarded as the beginning of the Catholic school system in the United States.
In 1809, Mother Seton founded the first American community of nuns, then known as the Sisters of Charity of St. Joseph. In June of the same year the little group moved to Emmitsburg, Maryland
The Sisters, whose motherhouse continued to be at Emmitsburg, formally united in 1850 with the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul. Other Sisters of Charity who also trace their origins to Mother Seton founded distinct communities in Cincinnati, Ohio; Convent Station, New Jersey; Greensburg, Pennsylvania; Halifax, Nova Scotia; and New York City.
Restoration work on this home (now a museum) was begun in 1937-1939 and completed in June 1963.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers marker series.
Location. 39° 17.746′ N, 76° 37.37′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker can be reached from North Paca Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Due to a brick wall around the front yard, the marker is not visible from the street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 600 North Paca Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, Baltimore MD 21201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chapel of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the Temple (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Mary's Seminary (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Mary's Seminary Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Orchard Street Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Eager Howard (about 700 feet away); The Oblate Sisters of Providence (approx. 0.2 miles away); Take a Stroll Down the Main Street of the African American Experience (approx. 0.2 miles away); G. Krug & Son (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
More about this marker.
Also see . . . Mother Seton House Museum. Museum website, with information about tours. (Submitted on March 5, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
1. St. Mary's Seminary Chapel
The Mother Seton House is adjacent to St. Mary's Seminary Chapel, a National Historic Landmark. The Chapel was built between 1806 and 1808 by architect Maximilien Godefroy.
— Submitted March 5, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 5, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,850 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 5, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. 4. submitted on March 6, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. 5. submitted on March 5, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.