Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Williamsburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Charlton's Coffeehouse

 
 
Charlton's Coffeehouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, July 8, 2012
1. Charlton's Coffeehouse Marker
Inscription. Constructed as a store and residence in 1750, the building was converted into a coffeehouse and operated by Richard Charlton in the mid 1760s. In October 1765, the coffeehouse was the scene of resistance to the British Parliament's Stamp Act.
 
Erected 2008 by Forrest and Deborah Mars.
 
Location. 37° 16.297′ N, 76° 41.663′ W. Marker is in Williamsburg, Virginia. Marker is on East Duke of Glouscester Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: East Duke of Glouscester Street, Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pasteur & Galt Apothecary Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); The Secretary's Office (within shouting distance of this marker); The Capitol (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Capitol (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Raleigh Tavern (about 400 feet away); The Public Gaol (about 400 feet away); Wetherburn's Tavern (about 600 feet away); Presbyterian Meetinghouse (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsburg.
 
Categories. Colonial Era
 
Charlton's Coffeehouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, July 8, 2012
2. Charlton's Coffeehouse Marker
Charlton's Coffeehouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, July 8, 2012
3. Charlton's Coffeehouse Marker
Charlton's Coffeehouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, July 8, 2012
4. Charlton's Coffeehouse Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 14, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 328 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 14, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement