Titusville in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Windover Archaeological Site
Erected 2002 by the Brevard County Historical Commission and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-486.)
Marker series. National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 28° 32.958′ N, 80° 50.755′ W. Marker is in Titusville, Florida, in Brevard County. Marker is at the intersection of Windover Way and Windover Trail on Windover Way. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Titusville FL 32780, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Addison/Ellis Canal (approx. 2.8 miles away); Titusville Negro School (approx. 4.4 miles away); St. Gabriel's Episcopal Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); The Pritchard House (approx. 4.8 miles away); Titus House (approx. 4.9 miles away); Titus House & the Indian River Hotel, c. 1869 (approx. 4.9 miles away); Scobie Fish & Oyster Company - 1885 (approx. 5 miles away); Hernandez Trail (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Titusville.
More about this marker. Marker is near the larger Windover Farms subdivision sign.
1. National Historic Landmark
The Windover Archaeological Site was recognized by the U.S. National Park Service as a National Historic Landmark in 1987 (#87000810). The agency noted that Windover "represents one of the largest collections of human skeletal material from its time period (Early Archaic) and one of the largest collections of fiber arts yet found at any archeological site in the New World."
— Submitted April 13, 2014, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.
Additional keywords. archaeology dig
Categories. • Native Americans • Paleontology • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2011, by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,523 times since then. Last updated on October 15, 2012, by Ray King of Jacksonville, Florida. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 2, 2011, by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?