Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Williamsburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

James Anderson's Armoury

 
 
James Anderson's Armoury Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, July 8, 2012
1. James Anderson's Armoury Marker
Inscription. James Anderson, Blacksmith and Public Armourer, conducted his business on this site between 1770 and 1798. During the Revolutionary War, the Armoury employed as many as forty workmen -- blacksmiths, gunsmiths, tinsmiths, nailers, and gunstockers -- maintaining arms and equipment for Virginia and Continental forces.
 
Erected by Forest E. Mars Jr.
 
Location. 37° 16.274′ N, 76° 41.839′ W. Marker is in Williamsburg, Virginia. Marker is on East Duke of Glouscester Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsburg VA 23185, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wetherburn's Tavern (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Raleigh Tavern (about 500 feet away); Pasteur & Galt Apothecary Shop (about 700 feet away); The Magazine and Guardhouse (about 800 feet away); Peyton Randolph House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charlton's Coffeehouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Secretary's Office (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Capitol (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsburg.
 
Categories. Colonial EraIndustry & Commerce
 
James Anderson's Armoury Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, July 8, 2012
2. James Anderson's Armoury Marker
James Anderson's Armoury Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, July 8, 2012
3. James Anderson's Armoury Marker
The marker is just behind the town's folk having a chat.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 20, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 275 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 20, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement