Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Spotsylvania in Spotsylvania County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Widow Tapp House

 
 
The Widow Tapp House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 10, 2007
1. The Widow Tapp House Marker
This is the Fifth in a series of markers along a walking trail on the Tapp Field. It can be reached from a parking lot off the Orange Plank Road.
Inscription. The Tapp Farm exemplifies the lifestyle of most Wilderness residents. Catharine Tapp, age 55 in 1860, leased her land from the Lacy family who owned nearby Ellwood. The Widow Tapp shared her modest 1-1/2 story log home with five relatives and a laborer. She owned no slaves.

The Tapps operated a subsistence farm, planting corn and keeping a few pigs and milk cows. A crib, stable, and small orchard were the property’s other improvements.

Although it survived the Battle of the Wilderness, the Tapp House fell into disrepair and eventually disappeared. Archeologists located the house site in 1989. Like so many other anonymous places, the Civil War transformed this isolated homestead from local obscurity into national recognition.
 
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. 38° 17.503′ N, 77° 43.573′ W. Marker is near Spotsylvania, Virginia, in Spotsylvania County. Marker can be reached from Orange Plank Road (County Route 621), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Located at stop five of the walking trail of the Widow Tapp Farm. Marker is in this post office area: Spotsylvania VA 22551, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. The Home of Widow Tapp (here, next to this marker); Brink of Victory
Widow Tapp Farm image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, November 10, 2007
2. Widow Tapp Farm
This field, one of the few open areas in the Wilderness, was the site of the Widow Tapp Farm. It saw intense action on May 6, 1864, during the Battle of the Wilderness.
(about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Earthworks (was about 500 feet away but has been reported permanently removed. ); Lee-to-the-Rear (about 600 feet away); In the Nick of Time (about 600 feet away); The Texans Attack (was approx. 0.2 miles away but has been reported permanently removed. ); Lee to the Rear! (approx. 0.2 miles away); Crisis in the Wilderness (was approx. 0.2 miles away but has been reported missing. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Spotsylvania.
 
More about this marker. The bottom right of the marker contains In 1865 painting of the Tapp Cabin by George Leo Frankenstein. The left portion of the marker features a photograph with the caption Archaeological students discovered the Widow Tapp House site based on historical research, sophisticated remote sensing technology, and traditional archaeological methods.

This marker was replaced by a new one named The Home of Widow Tapp (see nearby markers).
 
Also see . . .  Battle of the Wilderness.
Stop Five on the Widow Tap Trail image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, February 16, 2008
3. Stop Five on the Widow Tap Trail
(Submitted on March 9, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Tapp House Location image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, February 16, 2008
4. Tapp House Location
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 8, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 9, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,815 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 9, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   3, 4. submitted on March 10, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement