San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Adina de Zavala
(November 28, 1861 – March 1, 1955)
Her firm belief, later verified, was that remnants of Mission San Antonio de Valero, known in 1836 as the Alamo's long barracks, lay underneath the wooden exterior of buildings adjacent to the Alamo church. By 1893, as president of the De Zavala chapter of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas (DRT), Miss Adina had secured the adjacent property owner's commitment to give the chapter first purchase option. In 1908, upon hearing that the 2-story long barracks were about to be razed, Miss Adina barricaded herself inside the buildings for three days and nights in an effort that ultimately prevented their destruction.
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 86.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is located on Alamo Plaza, in front of the Alamo. Marker is at or near this postal address: 212 Alamo Plaza, San Antonio TX 78205, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Birthplace of Freemasonry in West Texas (a few steps from this marker); Masonic Heroes of the Alamo (a few steps from this marker); The Alamo in 1836 (a few steps from this marker); The Alamo Cenotaph (within shouting distance of this marker); Founding of the Mission and Origin of Name (within shouting distance of this marker); Letter From The Alamo (within shouting distance of this marker); Ruins of the Habitations of the Friars and Indians (within shouting distance of this marker); Clara Driscoll (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 478 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 14, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.