Near Weimar in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Town started in 1850s was named for Osage Orange trees.
In 1861, Civil War recruiting center. Furnished most of Co. A, 5th Texas Cav., Green's Brigade.
This park, on land deeded by Edward Austin for school and churches, includes cemetery and graves of many Civil War veterans. Was also burial site, Wm. B. Scates, a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence.
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3881.)
Location. 29° 44.411′ N, 96° 42.993′ W. Marker is near Weimar, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road 208 and County Road 205, on the left when traveling north on County Road 208. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Weimar TX 78962, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Burnam's Ferry (approx. 6½ miles away); Dubina James J. Ross (approx. 7.9 miles away); Site of the Camp of Gen. Joaquín Ramírez y Sesma (approx. 9.7 miles away); Colorado County (approx. 10 miles away); Robson's Castle and Columbus, Texas, Meat and Ice Company (approx. 10.4 miles away); Site of Railway Hospital (approx. 10.7 miles away); Townsend-West House (approx. 10.7 miles away).
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers • War, Texas Independence • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Old Osage.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 22, 2012, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 481 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 22, 2012, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.