Hot Springs in Garland County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
Hot Springs National Park
Like many Victorian bathhouses, the wooden 1890s Lamar Bathhouse had “stickwork” decorations and railed roof walkways. An investigator wrote of the buildings’ vulnerability:
“All agree that the vapor from the hot water rots all timber with which it comes in contact in remarkably short time…No more wooden buildings should be allowed.”
Lamar Bathhouse in 1923
Sun porch of the first Lamar, about 1898
Location. 34° 30.738′ N, 93° 3.222′ W. Marker is in Hot Springs, Arkansas, in Garland County. Marker is on Central Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 515 Central Avenue, Hot Springs National Park AR 71901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Buckstaff Bathhouse (a few steps from this marker); Ozark Bathhouse Bathhouse Row (within shouting distance of this marker); An American Spa (within shouting distance of this marker); Buck Ewing (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Quapaw Bathhouse (about 300 feet away); Fordyce Bathhouse (about 500 feet away); First Hotel and Bath House in the Hot Springs Territory (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hot Springs.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 12, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 343 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 12, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.