St. Inigoes in St. Mary's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Disaster at Ragged Point
USS Tulip Boilers an Ongoing Problem During the War
In November 1864, after months of conducting blockade duty with potentially hazardous boiler conditions, the Tulip was finally ordered to the Washington Navy Yard for another boiler repair. Her orders specified that she was to proceed up the Potomac River using only her port side boiler since the starboard (no. 2) boiler was defective.
While enroute to Washington, DC, acting Master William H. Smith steamed from St. Mary's River having decided to fire No. 2 boiler. He ordered the fires stoked when effectively out of signal distance from shore.
On November 11, 1864, at 1820 hours, a thundering explosion ripped apart Tulip's upper deck, flinging men in every direction. He bottom, cabin, and pilothouse were blown out and in minutes she sank into the Potomac. According to the paymaster's books, 49 of the 57 officers and men were missing.
Efforts to erect a monument began on September 15, 1927,when Captain J. M. Ellicott, grandson of C. M. Jones (the Civil War owner of Cross Manor) wrote to t he Secretary of Navy requesting a monument be placed near the grave site of eight unidentified sailors. On June 15, 1940 the monument was erected.
This exhibit was prepared by the Naval Air Station Patuxent River Public Works Department Natural Resources Branch and the Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development.
Erected by the Naval Air Station Patuxent River Public Works Department Natural Resources Branch and the Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development.
Location. 38° 9.729′ N, 76° 25.441′ W. Marker is in St. Inigoes, Maryland, in St. Mary's County. Marker can be reached from Cross Manor Road. Touch for map. The marker is at the end of a grassy
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Tulip Disaster (here, next to this marker); USS Tulip Monument (a few steps from this marker); The Union's Defense (a few steps from this marker); St. Ignatius Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); John LaFarge, S.J. (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Manor of Cornwaleys’ Cross (approx. 1.3 miles away); Mattapany Street (approx. 1½ miles away); Fear of War, People of Peace (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Inigoes.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. This cluster of markers and monuments tell the story of the USS Tulip and the Potomac Flotilla.
Categories. • War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 27, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 27, 2012, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 423 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 27, 2012, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 5. submitted on January 23, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.