Weatherford in Parker County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old City Greenwood Cemetery
Historian H. Smythe noted in 1877 that the cemetery was a “sadly neglected spot,” without a fence. By 1925 the civic league and cemetery association had been formed. The accomplishments of its women members were many. In addition to site beautification, the driveways were widened and graveled. A water well and windmill were installed, and a sexton was employed to secure the grounds. Cemetery care declined in the 1930s and later.
Among the estimated 1,000 graves are Civil War Medal of Honor Recipient Chester Bowen; Trail Drivers Oliver Loving and Boze Ikard; Cattleman and founder of the Citizens National Bank J.R.Couts; Governor of Texas (1902-06) S.W.T. Lanham and his son, Congressman Fritz G. Lanham; veterans of many wars, and pioneers of early Texas history.
Restoration of the Cemetery began in the late 1980s. The site continues to serve the area.
Erected 1996 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 3708.)
Marker series. This Medal of Honor Recipients marker series.
Location. 32° 45.834′ N, 97° 47.622′ W. Marker is in Weatherford, Texas, in Parker County. Marker is on East Front Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 East Front Street, Weatherford TX 76086, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Dean of Texas Trail Drivers Oliver Loving (1812 - 1867) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Parker County, C.S.A. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Franco-Texan Land Company Building (approx. half a mile away); James Claude Wright House (approx. 0.6 miles away); August 17, 1945 B-29 Crash (approx. 1.7 miles away); Grace First Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); Clark Cemetery (approx. 7.2 miles away); Bankhead Highway in Aledo (approx. 11.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Weatherford.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 18, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 382 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 18, 2013, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.