Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The First White House of the Confederacy
On this site stood the First White House of the Confederacy
William Sayre built his townhouse here between 1832 and 1835. On February 21, 1861, the provisional Confederate Congress leased it for the Executive Residence. President Jefferson Davis and his family lived here before the CSA capital moved to Richmond.
The White House Association saved the house, moved it next to the Capitol, restored it, dedicated it as a museum, and gave it to the people of Alabama on June 3, 1921.
Sponsored by the White House Association of Alabama
Erected 2012 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 22.667′ N, 86° 18.683′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Lee Street and Bibb Street, on the right when traveling north on Lee Street. Touch for map. Marker is located across Bibb Street from the Montgomery Performing Arts Center. The Montgomery city skate park now occupies the corner where the home was. Marker is in this post office area: Montgomery AL 36104, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The First Offices of the Confederate Government Tribute to Montgomery's "Foot Soldiers" (about 500 feet away); Rosa Parks and the Montgomery Bus Boycott (about 500 feet away); Montgomery’s Slave Markets / First Emancipation Observance - 1866 (about 500 feet away); Josiah Morris (about 500 feet away); Montgomery Freemasonry (about 600 feet away); Naming the City of Montgomery / Brigadier General Richard Montgomery (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montgomery.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. ..see the relationship marker shown.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 21, 2013, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 618 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 21, 2013, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.