Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
September 11-14, 1786
Just north of this building, facing main street, stood Mannís Tavern where twelve delegates from five states met in 1786 to discuss commercial problems of the new nation. Their call for another convention in Philadelphia to render the government “adequate to the exigencies of the Union” resulted in the creation of
The Constitution of the United States of America.
This building, built as George Mannís residence about 1789, was incorporate into the tavern complex in 1801. Known by the mid-1800s as the city hotel, its guests over the years included George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and James Monroe. The old tavern became the Colonial Theater in 1903 and was destroyed by fire in 1919.
Erected 1986 by The Maryland Society, Sons of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the George Washington Slept Here, and the Sons of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 38° 58.635′ N, 76° 29.41′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is on Conduit Street near Gorman Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 167 Main Street at Conduit Street (within shouting distance of this marker); First Synagogue in Annapolis (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church of Annapolis (within shouting distance of this marker); 163 Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); This tablet (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colonial Annapolis (about 400 feet away); Maryland State House (about 400 feet away); USS Maryland (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Annapolis.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Entertainment • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Politics •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 4,058 times since then and 499 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 16, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.