Fort Stockton in Pecos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
After Federal evacuation at start of Civil War, occupied by 2nd Regiment Texas Mounted Rifles. On far western frontier defense line. Supply post for troops going to and from Arizona-New Mexico campaign 1861-1862, designed to make Confederacy an ocean to ocean nation. At times this area was the center of Comanche and Apache activities. California Union troops dominated area 1862-65. Stopover on way west for many Union sympathizers and people wanting to avoid conflict of war.
A memorial to Texans who served the Confederacy
Erected by the State of Texas
Texas Civil War Frontier Defense. 1861-1865. 90,000 Texas troops served the South. Source of supply and gateway to vital trade thru Mexico, Texas was store-house of the western Confederacy. Texas also had to guard a 2,000 mile frontier and coastline from Union troops and the constant threat of savage Indians. 200 miles east, frontier defenders set up a line of camps separated by a day's ride from the Red River to the Rio Grande. A few Confederate troops joined by rangers, the organized militia, and citizens' posses held on until war's end though short on mounts and arms.
Erected 1963 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 2023.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: West James Street, Fort Stockton TX 79735, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Fort Stockton (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Comanche Springs (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Stephen's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Stockton Guard House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Stockton Officers' Quarters (approx. half a mile away); Old Fort Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away).
Additional keywords. Confederacy, Pecos County, Pecos River, West Texas, Henry Sibley
Categories. • Civil Rights • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 30, 2010, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. This page has been viewed 875 times since then and 51 times this year. Last updated on March 2, 2013, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on December 30, 2010, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. 2, 3. submitted on March 2, 2013, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.