Fairfax, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Town Hall
Old Town Fairfax
Joseph E. Willard, who served as lieutenant governor of Virginia and minister to Spain, built Old Town Hall and gave it to the town in 1900. He was said to have been the most influential political figure in Fairfax County at the turn of the century. He was the only child of Confederate spy, Antonia Ford and Joseph C. Willard, a Union major, co-owner of the famed hotel in Washington, D.C.
Location. 38° 50.768′ N, 77° 18.309′ W. Marker is in Fairfax, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of University Drive and Main Street (Virginia Route 236), on the right when traveling north on University Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3999 University Drive, Fairfax VA 22030, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fairfax Herald & Print Shop (a few steps from this marker); Ratcliffe-Allison House (Earpís) (within shouting distance of this marker); Fairfax Hay & Grain Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Nickell's Hardware (within shouting distance of this marker); Pozer Garden (was within shouting distance Ralston's Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Draper House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Draper House (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairfax.
Regarding Old Town Hall. A renovation of the hall by the City and Historic Fairfax City, Inc. was completed in 1987. Second floor renovations began in 1995. Many residents saw their first motion picture here in 1911 (the admission price was 10 cents).
Also see . . .
1. A Walking Tour of Old Town Fairfax, Virginia. (Submitted on March 18, 2008.)
2. Historic Fairfax City, Inc. (Submitted on March 18, 2008.)
3. Willard Family Papers (Library of Congress). (Submitted on March 18, 2008.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 18, 2008. This page has been viewed 1,655 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 18, 2008. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.