Jamestown in Chautauqua County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Before White Men Came
This bronze sculpture, symbolic of the portage, was presented to the city on Sept. 29, 1971 by the Rotary Club of Jamestown, New York.
This plaque commemorates the 75th anniversary of the Rotary Club in Jamestown, being chartered on June 17, 1919. On this occasion we rededicate ourselves to fulfilling the Rotary International motto: "Service Above Self."
Erected 1994 by Rotary Club of Jamestown, New York.
Location. 42° 5.657′ N, 79° 14.418′ W. Marker is in Jamestown, New York, in Chautauqua County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of South Main Street and Shearman Place, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located at the base of the sculpture. Marker is in this post office area: Jamestown NY 14701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Keelboat Landing (a few steps from this marker); First Train Policeman George Kendall (within shouting distance of this marker); First Grist Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Jamestown Furniture Exposition Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The First Store (about 300 feet away); Blackstone Corporation (about 300 feet away); First Woolen Mill (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jamestown.
Categories. • Exploration • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 297 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 22, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.