Bath in Beaufort County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Pampticough, was settled by white men
about 1690 and incorporated in 1705.
It is the oldest town in North Carolina.
Its first commissioners were John Lawson,
Joel Martin, and Simon Alderson. Here was
founded in 1700 the first public library
in the colony. St. Thomas' Church, built
in 1734, is the oldest church in the state.
The General Assembly met in Bath
in 1744 and in 1752.
Erected 1918 by The North Carolina Historical Commission and Board of Commissioners of Beaufort County.
Location. 35° 28.662′ N, 76° 48.838′ W. Marker is in Bath, North Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is at the intersection of Carteret Street (County Road 99 / 92) and South Main Street, on the left on Carteret Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bath NC 27808, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Matthew Rowan (within shouting distance of this marker); James Adams Floating Theatre (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Palmer - Marsh House (about 300 feet away); First Public Library Colonial Bath (about 600 feet away); Historic Bath (about 600 feet away); First Post Road (about 700 feet away); Alexander Stewart (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bath.
Also see . . . Beaufort-County - A Short History of Bath. In 1663 North Carolina was granted to eight of the political friends of the recently restored King of England, Charles II. ... (Submitted on April 29, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 26, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 392 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 29, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.