Hagerstown in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Bringing Farm Products to Maryland's Great Valley
Almost thirty years later, a new “National Road” reached Hagerstown. The town expanded as a freight center and stagecoach destination. An endless stream of Conestoga Wagons carrying freight east and west launched the small community into a new era.
The 1797 Turnpike Declaration by leading citizens of Hagerstown is a ringing endorsement of the proposed National Road. The Road would “produce advantages of the first magnitudeÖan institution which injures none but benefits all, not only deserves but demands the support of every citizen who wishes for the prosperity of this Country.”
Erected by America's Byways.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
Location. 39° 38.545′ N, 77° 43.187′ W. Marker is in Hagerstown, Maryland, Touch for map. Marker is located on the exterior of the Hagerstown Visitor's Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14 North Potomac Street, Hagerstown MD 21740, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gettysburg Campaign (here, next to this marker); Treatment of the Wounded (within shouting distance of this marker); First Battle of Hagerstown (within shouting distance of this marker); Second Battle of Hagerstown (within shouting distance of this marker); Hagerstown Ransomed (within shouting distance of this marker); A City Divided (within shouting distance of this marker); Ransom of Hagerstown (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named The Ransom of Hagerstown (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hagerstown.
Categories. • Agriculture • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 24, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,195 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 24, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.