Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bath in Beaufort County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Palmer - Marsh House

 
 
Palmer - Marsh House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, April 19, 2013
1. Palmer - Marsh House Marker
Inscription. Colonial home of Colonel Robert Palmer, Surveyor-General of North Carolina 1753-1771 and Collector of Customs for the Port of Bath. Built c. 1744, probably by Michael Coutanche, it is one of the oldest surviving dwelling-houses in the State. Governor William Tryon described Palmerís home as “a very excellent house . . . at Bath which I often resided in with my family, being Hospitably entertained.” After Colonel Palmer left for England in 1771, his son lived in the house until the mid 1780ís. In the 19th Century it was the home of the Jonathan Marsh family, shipowners and merchants, originally from Rhode Island.
 
Erected 1962 by Archives and Highway Departments. (Marker Number BB-3.)
 
Location. 35° 28.612′ N, 76° 48.831′ W. Marker is in Bath, North Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is on South Main Street near Carteret Street (County Road 99), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bath NC 27808, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James Adams Floating Theatre (a few steps from this marker); First Public Library (within shouting distance of this marker); Matthew Rowan
Palmer - Marsh House and Marker, South Main Street image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, April 19, 2013
2. Palmer - Marsh House and Marker, South Main Street
as seen Springtime 2013 from South Main Street
(within shouting distance of this marker); Colonial Bath (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Post Road (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Colonial Bath (about 500 feet away); Historic Bath (about 500 feet away); Alexander Stewart (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bath.
 
Regarding Palmer - Marsh House. The twentieth century saw the house operated as a hotel and later an apartment building. The structure was greatly altered from its colonial grandeur during this period. After the house was purchased by the Beaufort County Historical Society, the Historic Bath Commission in 1959 undertook restoring the building to its colonial era appearance. It was dedicated as a feature in Historic Bath in May 1962. Historic Bath was designated as a state historic site one year later. The Palmer-Marsh house caught fire in December 1989, but what could have been a tragedy was turned to advantage by preservationists. The fire stripped off fifteen layers of exterior paint, so the original color of the house was discovered and restored. The original interior
Palmer - Marsh House Marker along South Main Street, looking north image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, April 19, 2013
3. Palmer - Marsh House Marker along South Main Street, looking north
colors were also determined by paint chip analysis and, since a chair rail was detected in some rooms that did not have one, that feature was added, as well. Thus the house was more accurately restored than it was before the fire. It reopened to the public in June 1993 and remains an important attraction at Historic Bath. (North Carolina Office of Archives & History — Department of Cultural Resources)
 
Also see . . .  Historic Bath: Palmer-Marsh House. (Submitted on July 16, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
 
Palmer - Marsh House, from Carteret Street image. Click for full size.
North Carolina Office of Archives & History
4. Palmer - Marsh House, from Carteret Street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 13, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 295 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 15, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   4. submitted on July 14, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement