West Harrison in Dearborn County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Whitewater Canal and the Cincinnati and Whitewater Canal joined in Harrison to provide better access to Cincinnati markets and Ohio River. Indiana Internal Improvement Act 1836 authorized Whitewater Canal; completed from Brookville to Lawrenceburg 1839. Nearby Dam No. 1 on Whitewater River created a pool for canal boats to cross the river.
Cincinnati and Whitewater Canal incorporated by Ohio General Assembly 1837. Completed seven miles from Harrison (now West Harrison), Indiana to Dry Fork Creek, Ohio 1840. Twenty-five mile canal opened 1843 when 1, 782 foot tunnel completed at Cleves, Ohio. Traffic diverted to Cincinnati on this interstate transportation link diminished Lawrenceburg's importance as a market.
Erected 1999 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Canal Society of Indiana, and Dearborn County Historical Society. (Marker Number 15.1999.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 39° 15.072′ N, 84° 49.211′ W. Marker is in West Harrison, Indiana, in Dearborn County. Marker is at the intersection of S. State Street and Campbell Road, on the right Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Harrison IN 47060, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Morgan's Raiders Enter Ohio (approx. 0.2 miles away); When the Civil War Came to Indiana (approx. 0.4 miles away); Morgan's Great Raid (approx. 0.4 miles away); General John Morgan (approx. 4 miles away); Snow Hill Covered Bridge (approx. 5.4 miles away); East Fork Stone Chapel (approx. 6.2 miles away); Dover (approx. 6.9 miles away); a different marker also named General John Morgan (approx. 6.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Harrison.
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 20, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 444 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 20, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.