Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Glymont in Charles County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Saint Charles of Cornwallis Neck

 
 
Saint Charles of Cornwallis Neck Marker image. Click for full size.
By M. A. Pimentel, March 29, 2008
1. Saint Charles of Cornwallis Neck Marker
Inscription. This is the site of Saint Charles Roman Catholic Church. The parish began as a “Station Chapel” in the nearby home of the Charles Pye Family. Priests from St. Thomas Manor House in Port Tobacco came by on horseback to minister to the people. Saint Charles was granted full parish status in 1800. According to the deed from the Pye Family, the first Pastor was Rev. John Mondesir. The original building was replaced in 1913. The second church was razed in 1970.
 
Erected 1993 by The Society of the Pilgrims of St. Marys.
 
Location. 38° 36.01′ N, 77° 8.107′ W. Marker is in Glymont, Maryland, in Charles County. Marker is at the intersection of Strauss Avenue and Milburn Place on Strauss Avenue. Touch for map. The marker is located at St. Charles Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Indian Head MD 20640, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Story (approx. 1.3 miles away); Railroad at Naval Proving Ground (approx. 1.8 miles away); Navy Railroad (approx. 1.8 miles away); Araby (approx. 1.8 miles away); Smallwood's Home
The marker from a distance. Note the headstones. image. Click for full size.
By M. A. Pimentel, March 29, 2008
2. The marker from a distance. Note the headstones.
(approx. 3.8 miles away); Christian Temple Manor (approx. 3.9 miles away); Rich Resources (approx. 3.9 miles away); Myrtle Grove Game Refuge (approx. 4˝ miles away).
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Colonial EraNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2008, by M. A. Pimentel of Waldorf, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,601 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 29, 2008, by M. A. Pimentel of Waldorf, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement