New Ulm in Brown County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
During the Dakota Conflict, the hotel was used as a hospital. The bodies of those who succumbed to wounds and disease were temporarily buried in the nearby dirt street. One of the attending physicians at the hotel site was William Mayo, father of William and Charles Mayo, who founded the Mayo Clinic.
In 1875 the Union Hotel was destroyed by fire. Again Gross rebuilt. This time he built a two story brick structure which, in subsequent years, was remodeled and expanded several times. The name of the hotel was changed to the "Grand" in 1899 and it continued in use as a hotel until 1970.
This plaque was placed here by the great-great-grandson of Phillipp H. Gross, Phillipp W. Gross, Jr.,1998.
Erected 1998 by Phillipp W. Gross, Jr.
Location. 44° 18.944′ N, 94° 27.668′ W. Marker is in New Ulm, Minnesota, in Brown County. Marker is on North Minnesota Street south of Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 210 North Minnesota Street, New Ulm MN 56073, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kiesling House (within shouting distance of this marker); Barricading New Ulm (within shouting distance of this marker); Buenger Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Crone Store (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dacotah House (about 400 feet away); Jacob Nix Platz (about 500 feet away); Erd Building (about 500 feet away); German–Bohemian Immigrants Monument (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Ulm.
Also see . . .
1. The Grand. (Submitted on August 22, 2013.)
2. Grand Hotel (New Ulm, Minnesota). Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on August 22, 2013.)
3. Grand Hotel, New Ulm, Minnesota. YouTube video. (Submitted on August 22, 2013.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 420 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 22, 2013, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.