Waterford in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Troy - Waterford Bridge
The Union Bridge was built in 1804 and was the first bridge crossing the Hudson River north of New York Harbor. The timber covered structure was destroyed in a fire on July 10, 1909. The original stone piers of the Union Bridge are encased in the concrete piers that support the existing Troy - Waterford Bridge.
A model of the timber framing was constructed to test the load bearing capacity of the original covered bridge. This model and the original toll house sign are on display at the Waterford Museum.
Erected by Hudson River Improvement Fund, the Village of Waterford, J. Bert Mahoney, Mayor, & Merle H. Doud, Historian.
Location. 42° 47.364′ N, 73° 40.539′ W. Marker is in Waterford, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is on Broad Street (New York State Route 4), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. This marker is one part of a three-sided kiosk in the Waterford Village park at the bridge in Waterford. Marker is in this post office area: Waterford NY 12188, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gen. Henry Knox Trail (within shouting distance of this Waterford Bridges (within shouting distance of this marker); Union Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Saratoga County Bank (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Water Ford (about 400 feet away); Eagle Tavern Site (about 500 feet away); The Waterways that Shaped a Nation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Waterford (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waterford.
Also see . . . The Waterford Historical Museum and Cultural Center. (Submitted on September 22, 2013, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Man-Made Features • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 22, 2013, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 407 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on September 22, 2013, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.