Gilroy in Santa Clara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
John Cameron Gilroy
—“Legacy of Gilroy” Commemorating the Historic Hospitality District —
John Cameron Gilroy, native of Scotland, arrived in Spanish California in 1814, and became the first permanent English speaking settler. He married Maria Clara de la Ascencion Ortega, daughter of the family that owned Rancho San Ysidro, and together they had seventeen children. Inheriting a third of the rancho through his wife, Gilroy became a prominent landholder who served many years as the local alcalde (mayor) and later as a Justice of the Peace.
John Gilroy exemplified the early California tradition of hospitality that sheltered travelers, welcomed guests and celebrated life.
A Community Partnership
City of Gilroy
Gilroy Public Art Committee
Rotary Clubs of Gilroy
Marlene Amerian, Sculptor
Erected 2008 by City of Gilroy, Gilroy Public Art Committee & Rotary Clubs of Gilroy.
Location. 37° 0.422′ N, 121° 34.118′ W. Marker is in Gilroy, California, in Santa Clara County. Marker is at the intersection of Monterey Street and East 6th Street, on the right when traveling north on Monterey Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7400 Monterey Street, San Martin CA 95046, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Old City Hall (a few steps from this marker); Butterfield Overland Stage (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gilroy Carnegie Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gilroy (approx. 1.1 miles away); Rancho San Ysidro / San Ysidro School (approx. 2.6 miles away); Franklin Family Ranch (approx. 3.2 miles away); Rucker School Historical Site 1894 (approx. 3.4 miles away); Chitactac-Adams Heritage County Park (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gilroy.
Regarding “Alcalde”. John Gilroy was born in 1794 in Scotland, under the name of John Cameron. John, at the age of 19, not wanting to enter the family woolen business, took his mother’s maiden name and boarded the Issac Todd, a merchant ship owned by the Northwest Company. The ship was bound for the Company’s outpost on the Columbia River.
Suffering from scurvy, Johh Cameron Gilroy and two others were put off the ship at Monterey, California, in 1814. Even with the language barrier and the cultural differences it wasn’t long before he learned the Spanish language and became an active member of the community. In order to remain in Alta California, he had to become a citizen by swearing allegiance to Spain and to join the Roman Catholic Church. He
John Gilroy then made his way north to Rancho San Ysidro, where he worked for Don Ygnacio Ortega, to make barrels for tallow, on of the products of the rancho. He was the first to use redwood lumber from the western mountains and recognize the benefits of its high tannic acid content in preventing the growth of molds and mildew in tallow. He later used the redwood barrels for soap storage and transport.
It was there at Rancho San Ysidro he first met Maria Clara de la Ascencion Ortega, the third youngest daughter of Ygnacio Ortega and Maria Gertrudis Arce. They were married at Mission San Juan Bautista on March 2, 1821, when Clara was just fourteen years old. The Gilroy’s had seventeen children, nine of whom survived infancy.
– Taken from a photograph on AsagiGio.com; http://asagigoi.com/Scrapbook/main.php?g2_itemId=8605
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 30, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 465 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 30, 2013, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.