Brightwood in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Walter Reed Memorial
1851 - 1902
Bacteriologist - Research Scientist
In Honor of his great work in the fight for the eradication of yellow Fever.
[Insignia of the Army Medical Corps]
In recognition of the high public service of Major Walter Reed.
Erected 1966 by U.S. Army.
Location. 38° 58.424′ N, 77° 2.053′ W. Marker is in Brightwood, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of Main Drive, NW and 14th Street, NW, in the median on Main Drive, NW. Touch for map. Memorial is on the campus of the Walter Reed Army Medical Center. It is accessible from the medical center's main gate off Georgia Avenue, NW. Visitors without DOD identification may be required to obtain vehicle passes and instructions before proceeding onto the facility. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20307, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Army Medical Museum (approx. 0.2 miles away); Battle of Fort Stevens (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of a Tulip Tree (approx. 0.3 miles away); Walter Reed Army Medical Center (approx. Company K, 150th Ohio National Guard Infantry (approx. 0.4 miles away); Battleground National Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); The 122nd New York Volunteer Infantry (approx. 0.4 miles away); 98th Pennsylvania Infantry (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brightwood.
Also see . . . Wikipedia entry for Major Walter Reed. (Submitted on March 16, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Carlos Finley; Cuba; Yellow Fever Commission; Army Medical Museum.
Categories. • Notable Persons • Science & Medicine • War, Spanish-American • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 21, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,349 times since then and 22 times this year. Last updated on October 4, 2013, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 16, 2009, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.