Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in Hinds County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Mississippi's Old Capitol

 
 
Mississippi's Old Capitol Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cleo Robertson, January 2, 2014
1. Mississippi's Old Capitol Marker
Inscription. As the state capitol (1839-1903), this building was the site of the 1861 Secession Convention and 1868 and 1890 Constitutional Conventions. Andrew Jackson, Henry Clay, and Jefferson Davis spoke here. After housing state offices 1917-1959, the Old Capitol was restored and opened in 1961 as the state historical museum. Damaged by Hurricane Katrina in 2005, it was restored again and reopened in 2009.
 
Erected 2009 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program, and the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
 
Location. 32° 17.943′ N, 90° 10.807′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Mississippi, in Hinds County. Marker is at the intersection of South State Street (U.S. 51) and East Capitol Street, on the right when traveling north on South State Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 South State Street, Jackson MS 39201, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Merci Train Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Eagle and Bowman Hotels (about 500 feet away); Jackson City Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away);
Mississippi Old Capitol Musuem image. Click for full size.
By Cleo Robertson, January 2, 2014
2. Mississippi Old Capitol Musuem
Front of old restored Capitol structure and current historical museum as seen from South State Street.
First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Smith Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Galloway Memorial (approx. mile away); Galloway Memorial United Methodist Church (approx. mile away); Monument to Women of the Confederacy (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
 
Also see . . .  Old Marker at this Location. This marker replaced an older one at this location titled “Old Capitol”. (Submitted on January 3, 2014.) 
 
Categories. PoliticsWar, US Civil
 
Old Capitol Restorations Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Cleo Robertson, January 2, 2014
3. Old Capitol Restorations Plaque
Old State Capitol Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cleo Robertson, January 2, 2014
4. Old State Capitol Building Marker
Commemorating the restoration completed in 1960
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 2, 2014, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. This page has been viewed 408 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 2, 2014, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement