Derry-Londonderry in County Londonderry, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
St Columb's Cathedral
The Mother Church
The first settlers worshipped in the ruins of the former Augustinian abbey. In 1613 the London merchant companies sent over a silver-gilt chalice as a promise of their commitment to build a cathedral to grace their new city. The chalice remains a treasured possession of St Columb's Cathedral, originally built between 1628-33. It was the first cathedral to be erected in the British Isles after the Reformation and unusually was consecrated both as parish church of Templemore and as mother church of the Church of Ireland Diocese on the same day.
Cathedral under siege
The Cathedral's tower originally had a wooden spire covered with lead. The spire was later dismantled and the lead put into store. The lead was used to make bullets during the 1689 siege. The top of the tower became a signalling point, look-out post and platform for cannon. Colonel Mitchelburne's personal crimson flag was flown from the top to alert the ships in the Foyle that the wind and tide were right to attempt to break the boom. Many siege heroes are buried in the Cathedral. During its restoration in the 1860s the bones of the Apprentice Boys were temporarily removed to a tomb in the graveyard. The mound over the tomb was left as a monument to them.
'A very elegant, handsome, lofty stone spire'
St Columb's Cathedral may have inspired John Newton to write one of the most popular hymns in the English language - 'Amazing Grace'. Having narrowly avoided shipwreck during an Atlantic storm in 1748, Newton repented his former life as a slave trader. After his ship put into the Foyle for repair, he was invited by the Mayor to join a shooting party during which a bullet accidentally went through his hat. This second near-death experience confirmed to Newton that God was on his side. He prayed twice daily in the Cathedral until the 'Greyhound' was ready to sail again.
Location. 54° 59.621′ N, 7° 19.346′ W. Marker is in Derry-Londonderry, Northern Ireland, in County Londonderry. Touch for map. Marker is on the City Wall walking path, about 15 meters south of the cathedral. Marker is
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New Gate (within shouting distance of this marker); Demi-culverin Cannon (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Demi-culverin Cannon (within shouting distance of this marker); Church Bastion (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Demi-culverin Cannon (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Artillery Bastion (about 120 meters away); Bishop's Gate (about 150 meters away); The Walled City (about 150 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Derry-Londonderry.
Also see . . . The Great Siege of 1689. (Submitted on January 3, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 24, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 3, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 347 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 3, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.