Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

First Baptist Church

 
 
First Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 12, 2014
1. First Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. Side 1:
Founded November 29, 1829, with four charter members. English-born Lee Compere, a missionary to the Creek Indians, was the first pastor. Services initially were held monthly in a building shared by other denominations. In 1833, the church constructed its own house of worship on North Court Street. The growing congregation built a two-story brick structure on the same site in 1854. In 1860, Basil Manly, former President of the University of Alabama, became pastor, delivering the invocation at Jefferson Davis' inauguration the next year. The church played a significant role in the development of the Southern Baptist Convention. Its rich history intertwines with the events of the Civil War and ensuing years.
(Continued on other side)
Side 2:
(Continued from other side)
This stone building, modeled after a cathedral in Florence, Italy, is the church's third home. Construction began in 1905 when Dr. Charles Stakely was pastor and proceeded as funds were available. Completed and dedicated on November 11, 1923, its total cost was $175,126.91. The church facilities frequently have been enlarged and modified to parallel the congregation's growth. For untold hundreds, this church has been the place of conversions, baptisms, marriages, funerals, and life-changing
First Baptist Church Marker (reverse) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 12, 2014
2. First Baptist Church Marker (reverse)
worship experiences with God. First Baptist has played an influential role in the historic, cultural, and religious life of Montgomery and the South.
 
Erected 1994 by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Location. 32° 22.433′ N, 86° 18.431′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of South Perry Street and Scott Street, on the right when traveling north on South Perry Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 305 South Perry Street, Montgomery AL 36104, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Knox Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Governor Shorter House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lomax House, 1848 (about 500 feet away); Major Lemuel Purnell Montgomery (about 500 feet away); Civil Rights Freedom Riders (about 600 feet away); Teague House (about 600 feet away); St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church (about 700 feet away); Montgomery County Korean War Veterans (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montgomery.
 
Also see . . .  First Baptist Church History. (Submitted on January 13, 2014.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.War, US Civil
 
First Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, January 12, 2014
3. First Baptist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 12, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 421 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 12, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement