Rockingham in Windham County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Rockingham Meeting House
The Rockingham Meeting House is one of the finest remaining examples of New England Colonial architecture. It is the oldest intact public building in Vermont. Built between 1787 and 1801, it served Rockingham as a house of religious worship and town meetings for nearly a century. The arrival of industrialization shifted settlement to the nearby villages of Bellows Falls and Saxtons River. The Congregational church survived here until 1839 and annual Town Meetings continued here until 1869.
A sensitive restoration in 1907 was one fo the earliest historic preservation projects in Vermont. In 2000, the Meeting House was designated a National Historic Landmark by the National Park Service. The Meeting House now hosts community events and is open seasonally.
Erected 2013 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 43° 11.341′ N, 72° 29.093′ W. Marker is in Rockingham, Vermont, in Windham County. Marker is on Rockingham Road (Vermont Route 103) west of Meetinghouse Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bellows Falls VT 05101, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Rockingham Meetinghouse (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rev. John Williams (approx. 1½ miles away); Waypoint Center (approx. 4.2 miles away); Bellows Falls (approx. 4.2 miles away); Charlestown, New Hampshire (approx. 4.3 miles away in New Hampshire); Captain Phineas Stevens (approx. 4.3 miles away in New Hampshire); Liberty Tree Memorial (approx. 4.3 miles away in New Hampshire); Fort at No. 4 (approx. 4.3 miles away in New Hampshire).
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 27, 2014, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 363 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 27, 2014, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. 6. submitted on February 28, 2014, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.