Merritt Island in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Ais were one of the most influential and powerful tribes in Florida when Spanish Army Lt. Alvaro Mexia mapped Ulumay Lagoon in 1605. He wrote in his diary “Here is the town of Ulumay, the first one of the province of Ais. In back of and adjacent to this town there are many camps.” Ulumay was part of the vibrant Ais (Malabar) culture. Ais people occupied small interior camps and towns along resource-rich estuaries. The Ais were subject to Spanish patrols but were independent when the British merchant Jonathan Dickinson from Jamaica trekked north through their territory in 1696 after he was shipwrecked near Hobe. Within a few years of his visit, epidemics weakened and then decimated the Ais. By 1715 only a few natives were seen by survivors of a Spanish fleet wreck. Through the 1950’s, Ais village mounds including Ulumay were mined to obtain decomposed shell for use as roadbed. During the 1960’s, local naturalist and historian Johnnie Johnson helped record what remained of Ulumay mounds. In 1970 the area was given to Brevard County by the State of Florida as a park. In 1993, the Brevard County Historical Commission dedicated the Ulumay Wildlife Sanctuary as a historical landmark.
Erected 2009 by Brevard County Historical Commission, Friends of Ulumay, the Brevard County Tourist
Location. 28° 22.266′ N, 80° 40.804′ W. Marker is in Merritt Island, Florida, in Brevard County. Marker is at the intersection of Sykes Creek Parkway and Old Audubon Road, on the right when traveling south on Sykes Creek Parkway. Touch for map. Marker is located at the entrance to Ulumay Wildlife Sanctuary. Marker is in this post office area: Merritt Island FL 32952, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Last Naval Battle of the American Revolutionary War (approx. 1.4 miles away); St. Mark’s Episcopal Church (approx. 3 miles away); Edward Postell Porcher House (approx. 3 miles away); Valencia Historic District (approx. 3.3 miles away); Hernandez Trail (approx. 3.4 miles away); Lawndale (approx. 3½ miles away); Carter-Fuller Mound Complex (approx. 4.4 miles away); Port Canaveral Historic Milestones (approx. 4½ miles away).
Also see . . . Ulumay Wildlife Sanctuary. This 436.53-acre bird reservation and sanctuary offers a wilderness escape in an urban environment and is an international attraction for bird-watchers. Historically documented as a village of the Ais Indians who disappeared around (Submitted on March 26, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Exploration • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 25, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 518 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 25, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 26, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.