Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Orange in Franklin County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Orange Town Pound

Built Mid 1700s

 
 
Orange Town Pound Marker image. Click for full size.
By Polly Lyman, May 8, 2014
1. Orange Town Pound Marker
Inscription. Used to hold stray farm animals until claimed by their owners. A fee was paid for their release. Most colonial towns had a pound; this is one of very few still standing.
 
Erected 2010 by Orange Bicentennial Commission.
 
Location. 42° 37.655′ N, 72° 16.295′ W. Marker is in Orange, Massachusetts, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Wheeler Avenue and E Road, on the right when traveling north on Wheeler Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Orange MA 01364, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colonial Home 1777 (approx. 3.5 miles away); Captain Richard Beers (approx. 9.9 miles away); Indian Council Fires (approx. 9.9 miles away); First Settlement (approx. 10.4 miles away); Nathanial Dickinson House (approx. 10.8 miles away but has been reported missing); Hinsdale's Auto Pioneer (approx. 15.1 miles away in New Hampshire).
 
Categories. AgricultureColonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 9, 2014. This page has been viewed 254 times since then and 19 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on May 9, 2014, by Polly Lyman of New Salem, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement