Rockville in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Prettyman House
The property was owned or occupied by five generations of the Johnston-Prettyman family for almost 150 years. The Johnstons' daughter, Lydia, married Elijah Barrett Prettyman in 1855. He later became Clerk of the Circuit Court for Montgomery County. Many members of this family were active in County and town politics, religious and educational affairs, and the military. Various family members and others purchased land along the stable lane, which became South Van Buren Street. The Prettyman family owned the house until 1968.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland, Lost Rockville – 1801 to 1850 marker series.
Location. 39° 4.983′ N, 77° 9.371′ W. Marker is in Rockville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of West Jefferson Street (Maryland Route 28) and South Van Buren Street, on the right when traveling east on West Jefferson Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 West Jefferson Street, Rockville MD 20850, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Prettyman House (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Prettyman House (a few steps from this marker); Rockville Baptist Church and Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Rockville Academy (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Beall-Dawson House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockville.
More about this marker. One of the "Lost Rockville – 1801 to 1850" series of markers.
Also see . . .
1. Historic Rockville Walking Tour. (Submitted on January 17, 2006.)
2. Prettyman House (Submitted on March 24, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 24, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 17, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,881 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 17, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 24, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.