Celina in Clay County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Butler's Landing / Bailey Butler
Daniel Boone, on his trip to the Western Territory in 1773, followed the old game and Indian trail to where two creeks flowed into the Cumberland River. He referred to them as the Twin or Double Creeks in his journal. On this trip, he spent the winter on the bluff (now known as the "Seven Sisters") down the river below what is now Butler's Landing at the mouth of the Twin Creeks-Mill Creek and Dry Fork Creek. Congress, in 1820, established the fourth post road at Butler's Landing.
-During the War of 1812, Bailey Butler, an early 19th century pioneer of Clay (then Jackson) County and a Captain of the West Tennessee Volunteer Militia, fought in the Battle of Talladega under Commander Andrew Jackson. Butler was named first postmaster of what became known as Butler's Landing in 1831. The first county court met nearby in 1871 on land first owned and operated by Bailey Butler and his family. The Butlers built their houses, a large log store, and operated a river ferry and landing site on the Cumberland River at is juncture with Mill Creek and Dry Fork Creek.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commision. (Marker Number 2D 42.)
Location. 36° 29.586′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Celina TN 38551, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Celina During the Civil War (approx. 5 miles away); Free Hill(s) Community (approx. 6 miles away); Dale Hollow Dam (approx. 6.9 miles away); John Hunt Morgan (approx. 7.9 miles away); Cumberland River Campaign (approx. 9.1 miles away); Fisk Female Academy (approx. 9.2 miles away); Moore's Mill (approx. 13 miles away in Kentucky); Camp Zollicoffer (approx. 13.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Celina.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 10, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 452 times since then and 76 times this year. Last updated on June 11, 2014, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 10, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.