Near St George in Tucker County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Location. 39° 9.716′ N, 79° 42.244′ W. Marker is near St George, West Virginia, in Tucker County. Marker is on Cheat Valley Highway (West Virginia Route 72) east of Mountaineer Highway (West Virginia Route 28), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Parsons WV 26287, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tucker County Courthouse (approx. 4.7 miles away); Corrick's Ford Battle (approx. 4.7 miles away); Williams v. Board of Education Case (approx. 4.7 miles away); Parsons / Corrick's Ford (approx. 4.7 miles away); Corricks Ford Battlefield (approx. 5.1 miles away); The Corrick House (approx. 5.2 miles away); Corrick's Ford (approx. 5.2 miles away); a different marker also named Corricks Ford (approx. 5.2 miles away).
More about this marker. Marker is across the river from St. George, but trees and foliage does not allow you to see the town.
Also see . . . Wikipedia Entry. Originally known as Fort Minear and then as Westernford, St. George was settled in 1774 by German immigrant John Minear and his son, Jonathan, after early scouting visits to the area. In 1856, an act creating the county specified that Tucker's county court was to be held on the lands of Enoch Minear, descendant of Jonathan Minear. The town was then renamed Saint George in honor of Henry St. George Tucker, Jr. (1828–63), the son of the county's namesake, Henry St. George Tucker, Sr. (1780–1848).
During the Tucker County Seat War, on the evening of August 1, 1893, vigilantes from Parsons seeking to move the county seat broke into the courthouse and stole the county records and the courthouse bell, moving the government of Tucker County to Parsons, where it has remained to this day. (Submitted on June 29, 2014.)
Categories. • Native Americans • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 29, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 210 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 29, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the town and of St. George Academy. • Can you help?