Springfield in Effingham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
To Honor The
( Reverse Side )
United Daughters Of The Confederacy
April 26, 1923
Erected 1923 by Salzburger Chapter United Daughters Of The Confederacy.
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 32° 22.411′ N, 81° 18.828′ W. Marker is in Springfield, Georgia, in Effingham County. Marker is on North Oak Street near Jackson Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Springfield GA 31329, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Effingham County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Effingham County (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sherman's Left Wing (approx. half a mile away); Effingham County Methodist Camp Ground (approx. 1.4 miles away); Old Ebenezer (approx. 3.3 miles away); Jerusalem (Ebenezer) Church Bethany (approx. 4.8 miles away); Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Normal and Industrial Institute (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Springfield.
Regarding Confederate Memorial. Monument was dedicated on April 26. The anniversary of the day Confederate General J.E. Johnston agreed to purely military terms and formally surrendered his army and all Confederate forces in the Carolinas,
Georgia, and Florida.
Also see . . . Carolinas Campaign. (Submitted on May 1, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 1, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,424 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 1, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.