East Burke in Caledonia County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Mountain View Farm
This farm was established in 1883 by Elmer A. Darling (1848-1931), a native of East Burke who became part owner/manager of the world famous Fifth Avenue Hotel in New York City. After the hotel closed in 1908, Mr. Darling retired to the life of a gentleman farmer and raised prize-winning Morgan horses and Jersey cattle. The farm also produced the choice "Darling" brand of cheeses and butter. At its zenith, his prosperous Mountain View Farm included Burke Mountain and extended over 7,000 acres.
The farmís monumental barns and distinctive colonial yellow and white-trimmed farmhouses line Darling Hill Road. Elmer Darling studied architecture at M.I.T., and with the assistance of Jardine, Kent and Jardine, architects, designed his magnificent neo-Georgian residence, Burklyn Hall, built in 1905-1908 on a knoll astride the Burke/Lyndon town line. Mr. Darling was a public-spirited citizen whose philanthropic generosity includes the Colonial Revival style Burke Mountain Club, built in East Burke in 1919.
Erected 1998 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Location. 44° 35.379′ N, 71° 57.62′ W. Marker is in East Burke, Vermont, in Caledonia County Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the Inn at Mountain View Farm. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3337 Darling Hill Road, East Burke VT 05832, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Vail Campus (approx. 4.4 miles away); Theodore N. Vail (approx. 5 miles away); Wheelock (approx. 6 miles away); Rogers' Rangers Cemetery (approx. 9.7 miles away); First American Platform Scale (approx. 11.2 miles away); 1st Normal School (approx. 11.7 miles away); a different marker also named First American Platform Scale (approx. 12.3 miles away); St. Johnsbury Trade School (approx. 12.4 miles away).
Categories. • Agriculture • Animals • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 7, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 239 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on August 4, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 7, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. 5. submitted on July 22, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.