San Marcos in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of the First Town of San Marcos
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 10319.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail, and the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 29° 51.326′ N, 97° 53.904′ W. Marker is in San Marcos, Texas, in Hays County. Marker is on North Old Bastrop Highway (County Route 266) 1.2 miles south of San Marcos Highway (Texas Highway 80), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is located just south of the San Marcos River. Marker is in this post office area: San Marcos TX 78666, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Don Felipe Roque de la Portilla (here, next to this marker); Charles Lewis McGehee Cabin (a few steps from this marker); Col. Ignacio Elizondo’s 1813 Campaign (approx. ¼ mile away); Gen. Antonio Gaona’s 1836 Campaign (was approx. one mile away but El Camino De Nacogdoches (was approx. 2.1 miles away but has been reported missing. ); The Calaboose (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Courthouses of Hays County (approx. 3.2 miles away); The Old Triangle (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Marcos.
Categories. • Hispanic Americans • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2013, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 436 times since then and 18 times this year. Last updated on August 6, 2014, by Michael Heinich of Austin, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on October 2, 2013, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 5, 2013, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.