Ulmer in Bamberg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Buford's Bridge, the earliest settlement in what is now Bamberg County, was established as early as 1792, when William Buford maintained a bridge and operated a ferry over the Salkehatchie River. It grew throughout the nineteenth century, with several residences, four stores, two taverns, a boarding house, a Masonic lodge, and Mizpah Methodist Church here by the 1850s.
( Reverse Text)
On February 3-5, 1865, as Gen.W.T. Sherman's Federals advanced toward Columbia, units of Gen. J. A. Logan's XV Corps approached Buford's Bridge. Gen. Joseph Wheeler's Confederate cavalry burned the bridge, then evacuated the earthworks here before Logan arrived on Feb. 4th. Federals destroyed most of the buildings in the area to build bridges and left only Mizpah Methodist Church in tact.
Erected 2002 by The Rivers Bridge Camp No. 842, Sons of Confederate Veterans. (Marker Number 5-8.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans marker series.
Location. 33° 7.034′ N, 81° 10.952′ W. Marker is in Ulmer, South Carolina, in Bamberg County. Marker is at the intersection of Burton Ferry Road (U.S. 301) and Carolina Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ulmer SC 29849, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mizpah Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Olar S.C. (approx. 4.4 miles away); Bethel Baptist Church (approx. 5½ miles away); Old St. Nicholas Cemetery (approx. 6.1 miles away); Battle Of Rivers’ Bridge (approx. 6.3 miles away); Battle of Rivers' Bridge (approx. 6.4 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Rivers' Bridge (approx. 6.4 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Rivers' Bridge (approx. 6.4 miles away).
Regarding Buford's Bridge. Bufords Bridge,was action during the Rivers' Bridge Battle
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 7, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,919 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 7, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.