Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
A Point in the 2d Line of Works
Connecting Battery Erwin
with Fort Jones.
Location. 35° 2.622′ N, 85° 18.478′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is on Lindsey Street north of East 11th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. This historical marker is affixed to the outside, eastern wall, of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, just above the posted sign for reserved parking space #22. Marker is in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37402, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Martin Hotel (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Military History of Chattanooga (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Coca-Cola Bottling Company In The United States (approx. 0.2 miles away); Crutchfield House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Crutchfield House (approx. ¼ mile away); The Union Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); The Chattanooga Brush Electric Light Company (approx. ¼ mile away); First Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
Regarding A Point in the 2d Line of Works. With much help from Raney Suzette of the Local History and Genealogy Department of the
According to a newspaper article published in the Chattanooga Times on, December 1, 1893, there was a committee appointed from the chamber of commerce to identify historical points in connection with the occupancy of Chattanooga by federal and Confederate troops. These points were to later be marked by a bronze tablet bearing a description of the event which transpired at that point. According to a Battlefield Guide, published in 1897 by the Chattanooga Chamber of Commerce, “For the 20th reunion of the Society of the Army of the Cumberland, September 18-20, 1889, the publisher of the Guide compiled the following list of historical points, which list, has since been revised and bronze tablets placed on or near the sites by the Government.” So it would appear that it was sometime between late 1893 and 1897 that these tablets were erected, by the government.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. A list of the tablets placed throughout the city of Chattanooga, in the mid-1890s, that identify historical points in connection with the occupancy of Chattanooga by Federal and Confederate troops.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 350 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 22, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 6. submitted on August 25, 2018, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.