Swansboro in Onslow County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Huggins Island Battery
Protecting the Coast
óCoastal Expeditions ó
Union Gen. Benjamin F. Butlerís capture of Hatteras Inlet in August 1861 gave Federal forces a foothold from which they could launch attacks up the rivers and sounds of eastern North Carolina. Confederate authorities decided to construct earthen fortifications to protect the mainland, especially at Roanoke Island and on the Roanoke, Pamlico, Neuse, and White Oak Rivers.
This battery was constructed during the fall. In November, Capt. Daniel Munn occupied it with his company known as the Bladen Stars. At first considered an independent company for local defense and special service in North Carolina, the Stars were eventually designated Co. B, 36th North Carolina Infantry Regiment (2nd North Carolina Artillery). The company mustered four officers and 64 men in January 1862.
On February 19, 1862, after Union Gen. Ambrose E. Burnsideís expedition captured Roanoke Island, Munn withdrew the company from Huggins Island. The guns and ordinance were transported to Morehead City and then to New Bern, where they fell into Burnside hands when he occupied the town on March 14.
In August 1862, the Federals mounted a small army-navy expedition against the salt works on the White Oak River at Swansboro. Gen. Thomas G. Stevenson led seven companies of the 24th Massachusetts Infantry and a detachment of the 1st New
(left) Confederate pickets at typical coastal fortification, Harperís Weekly
(center) Capt. Daniel Munn Courtesy National Archives; Gen. Thomas G. Stevenson Courtesy National Archives
(right) The Huggins Island Battery mounted seacoast cannons similar to this one in Fort Pulaski, Ga. Courtesy Library of Congress; Hammock Beach State Park Courtesy of North Carolina Division of Parks and Recreation
Erected by North Carolina Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the North Carolina Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 34° 40.194′ N, 77° 8.601′ W. Marker is in Swansboro, North Carolina, in Onslow County. Marker can be reached from Fla Camp Road 0.4 miles west of Hammock Beach Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. The marker is on the grounds of the Hammocks Beach State Park at the Pier. Marker is in this post office area: Swansboro NC 28584, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Hammocks Beach State Park (here, next to this marker); Huggins' Island Fort (approx. 1.9 miles away); Port Swannsborough (approx. 1.9 miles away); "Prometheus" (approx. 1.9 miles away); Col. John Starkey (approx. 1.9 miles away); Camp Lejeune (approx. 12.2 miles away); James Melville Jones (approx. 14.6 miles away); Hofmann Forest (approx. 14.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Swansboro.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 13, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 342 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on September 13, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.