Floresville in Wilson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Cemetery of Canary Islanders
Predates church built 1732 by colonists who arrived 1731, led by Juan Leal Goras. They farmed and raised stock. Their villa, San Fernando, was first municipality in Texas.
Among unmarked graves is that of flamboyant Dona Maria Cavillo.
Site now county-owned.
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 701.)
Location. 29° 8.868′ N, 98° 9.558′ W. Marker is in Floresville, Texas, in Wilson County. Marker is at the intersection of 10th Street (U.S. 181) and Plum Street, on the right when traveling north on 10th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 710 10th Street, Floresville TX 78114, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Old Town: Lodi (approx. 0.9 miles away); Vicinity of site: "Mision de las Cabras" (approx. 2.9 miles away).
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Dona (Doņa) Maria Cavillo referenced on the marker (also known as Dona Maria del Carmen) managed the ranch that was located at the former site known
Also see . . . Carmen Calvillo. Article about Carmen Calvillo, referenced on marker, The Handbook of Texas Online. (Submitted on September 24, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.)
Dona Maria Cavillo referenced on the marker is variously referred to as Maria del Carmen Calvillo (Calvillo vs. Cavillo on marker), and Dona Maria del Carmen.
— Submitted September 24, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Hispanic Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on October 30, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 24, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 461 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on September 24, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 24, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.