Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chickamauga in Walker County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

3rd Georgia Cavalry

Crew's Brigade

 

—Wharton's Division —

 
3rd Georgia Cavalry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 19, 2014
1. 3rd Georgia Cavalry Marker
Inscription.
C.S.A.
Georgia.
3d Cavalry.
Colonel R. Thompson.
Crew's Brigade.
Wharton's Division.
5:30 P.M., September 20, 1863.

 
Erected 1898 by the State of Georgia. (Marker Number MT-1280.)
 
Location. 34° 52.283′ N, 85° 17.539′ W. Marker is in Chickamauga, Georgia, in Walker County. Marker is on Cove Road (Georgia Route 341) south of Gordon Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. This historical monument is located in the downtown area, in front of the Elizabeth Lee United Methodist Church Offices. According to the location information provided by the National Park Service the, “Marker is located in downtown Chickamauga, GA”. Marker is in this post office area: Chickamauga GA 30707, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 2nd Georgia Cavalry (a few steps from this marker); 4th Georgia Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp George H. Thomas (within shouting distance of this marker); 3rd Confederate Georgia Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); The Town of Lytle
3rd Georgia Cavalry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 19, 2014
2. 3rd Georgia Cavalry Marker
View of the historical monument (far left monument) looking north along Cove Road.
(within shouting distance of this marker); Sickness at Camp Thomas (within shouting distance of this marker); North and South Reunited (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Crawfish Spring (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chickamauga.
 
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the monument is, “A rock-faced, peaked-top granite slab, 4'6" wide x 6' high x 1'8" thick, that carries an inscription, with a horseshoe carved in relief above it. Marks unit's position on September 20, 1863, at 5:30 p.m.”
 
Also see . . .  National Park Service List of Classified Structures. This is a link to information provided by the National Park Service regarding this particular monument. (Submitted on April 23, 2017, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
3rd Georgia Cavalry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 19, 2014
3. 3rd Georgia Cavalry Marker
View of the historical monument (near left monument) looking south along Cove Road.
3rd Georgia Cavalry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 19, 2014
4. 3rd Georgia Cavalry Marker
View of the historical monument (the monument furthest away on far left), from across the street, looking north along Cove Road.
3rd Georgia Cavalry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 19, 2014
5. 3rd Georgia Cavalry Marker
View of the historical monument (monument on the left) from across the street.
3rd Georgia Cavalry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 19, 2014
6. 3rd Georgia Cavalry Marker
View from across the street, of the historical monument, in front of the Elizabeth Lee United Methodist Church Offices.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 27, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 245 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 27, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement